My Photo
Name:
Location: San Leandro, California, United States

I've spent hours trying to write 'about me' so I just gave up and you'll have to figure this out for yourself. Thanks for stopping in anyway!

Monday, March 09, 2009

'What we have here...is a failure to communicate.'

This is something that I'm seeing more often lately. This is a problem that I'm not seeing how I can get around without some sort of confrontation. It's clear to me now that I am a significantly different with communication than my boss.

An example of our differences:
"Please provide an update on this situation. -Thanks!" - Me
"Why cant you get your act togeter" - Her

See the differences? Here, I am at least remaining civil and focused on respectfully requesting assistance. And here's bosswoman properly alienating our vendors while also demonstrating poor communication skills. These are the times in which I question my reality on whether this is acceptable or not. My gut tells me, 'No'. The little voice in my head that corrects my own grammar/spelling is screaming, so I suppose it would be accurate to say that if I see this kind of behavior in formalized communications (emails, internally or externally), I tend to judge them negatively.

I suppose this is my own maddening idiosyncracy working here, but I can't help but judge the company and all those associated with it when I read a poorly worded email. I naturally assume others do this when they see her emails and maybe this why it bothers me so much?

Okay, rant's over now. Back to work for me!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

She sent it like that? with the misspelled word? And the contraction without an apostrophe? I thinkyou are supposed to avoid contractions completely in formal messages. If that is her norm for messages, it is very unprofessional.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Tobiwan said...

Correct, misspelled word and no punctuation. Welcome to my world.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Wow. That's horrific. And I work in a smallish trucking company with country (and sometimes redneck) people. Even they know to write better than that!

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home