My Photo
Name:
Location: San Leandro, California, United States

I've spent hours trying to write 'about me' so I just gave up and you'll have to figure this out for yourself. Thanks for stopping in anyway!

Monday, October 02, 2006

Father/Son Weekend

I picked up the boy on Friday afternoon since the girl was sick. Don't you just love school days? If they didn't have my immunity system, they probably would get sick more often. Still, the girl stayed so she could work on her Halloween costume and have a nice weekend with her mother/grandmother.

He was busy gaming his brains out while I caught up on my book. It's strange, when we're both occupied like this, I feel this sense of satisfaction that, even though we are not in the same room, that we are spending valuable time together. I recall when my father was into reading books before the whole gaming world caught ablaze. He would sit contently with his book while he whistled classical music and I would be doing whatever a kid my age did...probably watch TV or play console games. Even though he didn't converse with me much, I still felt like he was there with me enjoying it. In retrospect, I wish I had been more interested in reading for pleasure back in that day so we had more common ground. Regardless, he and my mother were always there for me when I had my questions/drama. I miss them terribly right now...maybe this is a sign I need to pay another visit to SoCal before they disappear into the reaches of Texas.

Moving on, we had a very nice weekend. I let him make his own schedule and even helped him make his WOW toon more powerful with some extra gold. Remind me to explain how great that is to give him some advantages most people wouldn't have unless they had that kind of support behind him.

We saw 'Open Season' this weekend at the theaters which turned out to be a decent flick in spite of the fact that Aston Koochie or whatever-the-fuck-his-name-is was in it. Toilet humor is truly the boy's greatest weakness. Here's how I know:
  • I let him watch the movie 'Caveman' with Ringo Starr that weekend. He friggen loved it...and I even caught some things I totally missed when I saw it last. Have I mentioned how fucking cool it is to see something else amusing in a movie you've seen over a dozen times already? I never knew that they had a Pot Plant in the movie!
  • He totally lost it when he saw the part in the movie where they were all digging through Dinosaur shit~we're talkin tears, hysterical laughter, and incomprehensible laughing/talking while he was trying to verbalize how funny it was.
We charred some meat on Saturday, which is my opportunity to hear him praise me on how well I cook for him. I don't know what it is about hearing your kid say, 'Dad, you cook the best bbq', but I am high from it. How the hell does he still do this to me?

Overall, we had a great time together, and I told him as much I could that I loved spending time with him. I'll admit that I feel a pang of regret that I can't do this with him every time I saw him. Why do I feel most at peace when I'm providing for them? Maybe it's something 'primal' that I'm feeling right now~whatever it may be, I'm thankful for having it...I feel like I matter in this world...that I am successful.

I'll stop to say now that every day I spend with my offspring gives me hope that I am making my right way in the world. How splendid it is to feel that I am making my mark in the world by giving my children the opportunity to become better human beings by just being myself. I know...I'm rambling...and freaking happy in spite of where I could be if I spent a little time improving my situation. Either way, it's too late for regret, and the right time for appreciation of where I am in life.

1 Comments:

Blogger always kris said...

I loved the charred meat comment. Arent there just days with your child(ren) that you wish you could bottle up and then on your deepest, darkest day, you could open them again and let the laughter from that day come forward? I love the fact that you love being a dad. It is an admirable quality to say the least.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home