My Photo
Name:
Location: San Leandro, California, United States

I've spent hours trying to write 'about me' so I just gave up and you'll have to figure this out for yourself. Thanks for stopping in anyway!

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Nerdity in review

Thanks to some desperate brainstorming yesterday, it appears that I am now the owner of a nearly functional computer. I guess I didn't put much thought into why it wasn't working, but my first guess was accurate at least. The problem was that I didn't want to go through the trouble of opening up my case and pulling components. Yes, I'm that lazy when it comes to troubleshooting my own computer. I blame the fact that I work on a computer every day for my reluctance to fixing anything outside of it (work I mean).

After pulling out my video card and replacing with Big V's antiquated hardware (which he still insists is bigger than mine), I found that all of the problems I experienced with the original disappeared. This means I'll have to eventually replace it since the damn thing is making my game play shit.

Productive or not?

Being that I am in a production environment, there's always the ruse that people are working while doing absolutely nothing. If I had to add it up, I'd say there's at least 30% of the staff that 'fluffs' their way through their daily workday. What do we produce? We provide Support, which isn't exactly like factory-work, but we're expected to touch/annotate a specific number of tickets per day in order to continue to be employed. We're still expected to achieve a magic number and there are those that simply reach that goal without actually fixing anything.

These are the people we call fluffers because they:
  1. don't know how to do their job but manage to keep high numbers so nobody suspects they're incompetent.
  2. add notes to a ticket without actually taking steps to resolve something (see number 1).
  3. do enough work just to not get noticed by the people that really matter (namely the ones that sign the checks).
  4. hate their jobs and can't find anyone else that would pay them to do nothing.
  5. never 'fix' anything, yet they receive unwarranted praise for maintaining good numbers.

This kind of environment is really starting to wear me down mentally speaking, especially if I have to be compared to these people. It just sounds like I'm pointing out their short-comings to make my own accomplishments sound more productive. When I was younger, I probably wouldn't have cared, but now, I have some pride in my work. I enjoy hearing I did a great job because I know I put some effort into it and i'll do it again without question.

Anyway, my vent is over now. I'm just going to go back to my world of fixing things and pretend like those people don't exist. DenialRoleplaying is fun!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Bit of useless information for you. Fluff in Oz is a polite word for fart!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Tobiwan said...

Another mundane spin on the English language from country to country.

In the states, to 'root' is when you voice your encouragement for your favorite sports team.

In Oz, to 'root' is to fuck.

I'd personally rather visit Oz just for the accents and the spin on the terminology.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Mummy said...

You'd have to visit NZ too!

Work sounds dire T, is there anyway you can move on somewhere that fully appreciates you?

12:22 PM  
Blogger Ordinary Girl said...

I'm echoing Joie. That kind of continual wear down can so not be good for the soul!

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home