My Photo
Name:
Location: San Leandro, California, United States

I've spent hours trying to write 'about me' so I just gave up and you'll have to figure this out for yourself. Thanks for stopping in anyway!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

California is fucked
Fresh from my Unemployment Appeal, I'm bitter and not at all confident that their decision is in my favor. My previous employer said some pretty over-the-top statements; ones which I can definitely see my Manager saying. The 'employer' comments were definitely worded in her tone and poor spelling, so I think that's one point in my favor. Maybe it's just me, but I found her comments to be grossly inaccurate.

I'm going to digress for a moment to bad-mouth my previous employers, because I feel I wasn't completely at fault in this instance. My management seemed to believe that 2 people could do the job 3 could previously by leveraging the other departments. Unfortunately what this meant is that any time we didn't have the resources to handle something, another department would have to take up the slack. This is a great idea unless other departments are busy with their own work. And when this did happen, all we could do was apologize that we didn't have enough time to do everything they expected of us. Their expectations are pretty high, unreasonable by the opinion of most. With these unreasonable expectations, I was in perpetual defensive mode to fight off all of my Managements emails as to why I couldn't keep up with the workload.

It's been my experience that people at the top are rarely cognisant of what the worker bees are doing. To make matters worse, my direct Manager was obtuse to the point where she dismissed my suggestions to streamline the existing processes. My fault in this case was that I really didn't feel like she supported me, so I just gave up trying to do things her way. They wanted the job done, so I did it to the best of my ability and it wasn't good enough for them. Oh well, I fail. Please fire me so I don't have to dodge 12 emails a day from my control-freak Manager.

I think if Cal was not in such a poor financial position, this would've never come to a formal appeal and I might not have to go ask the parents for a hand-out. This has certainly been a test for me for the last few months. It's not easy getting fired from a job. It doesn't look good on your interviews, no matter how you spin it. Fortunately, being honest about the conditions of the last position has helped me stay in the running with recent interviews.

In the coming months and years, I hope to put this bad experience behind me. I learned quite a bit about myself from the previous job; specifically what kind of employer I will work for. It really does matter to me if the person I'm working under listens to what I say and actually supports me. Despite my Manager being a supercunt, she taught me signs to look for that will tell me early if I can work for them. They were subtle signs that raised a flag, but I ignored them simply excusing them as being 'the new guy' syndrome and just trying to acclimate to the environment. I wont ignore my instincts next time.

I'm feeling much better now although I'm pretty much writing off the whole unemployment benefits. I just think Cal is going to deny as many people as they can since they're running out of money. I wont hold onto delusions of a 'just' system, not in this fucking economy. Now, to find myself a job at any cost (or pay).

1 Comments:

Blogger thanida said...

to see what i mean please check my blog: the category name is Up-coming จีคลับ

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home