My Photo
Name:
Location: San Leandro, California, United States

I've spent hours trying to write 'about me' so I just gave up and you'll have to figure this out for yourself. Thanks for stopping in anyway!

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Welcome to wherever you are

Sometimes at my job, I feel like the Greeter person at Walmart. I know where almost everything is, I am friendly, but I really don't help you much more beyond that. I definitely see the need for people like this, but that doesn't necessarily mean I like doing it. Today happens to be one of those days.

I talk about my job a lot because it's what I do besides game my brains out. I'd almost call it a hobby that happens to pay me, but I'd never do this shit in my spare time. I especially love it when relatives assume that, since I work in the Internet Industry, I automatically can help them fix whatever they did to their poor defenseless PC. Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm just a guy that knows how to give people that warm fuzzy feeling on a daily basis.

When it comes right down to it, my primary job is to provide customer service. When they call me, I'm very cordial, friendly, and maintain the air (as thick as it may be) that I know what I'm doing. I receive a tons of nice compliments on my professionalism and expertise, but I get the impression that they're really just happy I treated them the way they like to be treated.

Nobody I know likes to call Tech centers because they're either outsourced, or the individuals you speak with talk down to you and assume you know absolutely nothing. There's really good reasons for you to hate calling those places...and believe me, they count on this and hope you just get too frustrated to call back. They Win, you lose, but I don't think they'll ever thank you for the money personally.

Given that I am often on that side of the phone call (where I am calling for assistance from other Internet Providers), I try to be as friendly and professional as the environment permits. There's nothing worse than getting on a call with a customer that's being totally unreasonable and I take that into consideration for whomever answers the phone. To their credit, most ISPs react in a very positive way when you blow a bit of smoke up their posterior. I rarely have to get nasty while on a call with a vendor, but when I do, my coworkers turn their heads to me wide-eyed in shock of the things that come out of my mouth.

Why am I talking about my job again? Well, today, I was speaking with a woman that I couldn't really help and she knew it, but only after I spent 20 minutes educating her on how email works. Although she started the conversation in a sub-yell (via speakerphone), 'Your service sucks!', I managed to turn her completely around by the end of the conversation. This may be the single most ego-boosting experience someone in Customer Service can get without the exchange of bodily fluids. Coincidently, 'Taming of the Shrew' happens to be my favorite Shakespeare play.

The Eventual Conclusion

While coming to the conclusion on what I do best at work, it occurred to me that I often overextend myself in an effort to get people to approve of me. Geez, I sound really needy when I put it like that. I guess I need to stop doing this outside of work to prevent seeming totally desperate. Lesson learned.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

You can look at it like "seeking approval" or "making people happy" or "making their lives easier" it's up to you.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home