My Photo
Name:
Location: San Leandro, California, United States

I've spent hours trying to write 'about me' so I just gave up and you'll have to figure this out for yourself. Thanks for stopping in anyway!

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Drawing a line in the sand

The hot debate for today is the synonym for Soft Drinks. It seems that somewhere in our history, we have somehow been divided in our terminology. How did this come up? Well, I suppose we were in midst of making fun of the Midwestern Accent at the time and I said 'Pop' when referring to a Soft Drink.

'Soda VS. Pop'

When I used to carpool with the ever-wise Grif, this topic came up atleast a few times, so I already had chosen my side of the line prior to this current debate. Our theory was that there was a point in America's timeline when our terminology for carbonated drinks morphed. We made many theories about this, but since the term 'Pop' is a verb, we concluded that the word spawned from inbreeding.

We decided that California is a 'Soda' state, as is Arizona and Washington. Oregon, Idaho, Utah, the majority of the Midwestern States are all 'Pop' states. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to anything East of Texas, so I might need some help with identifying other 'pop' states. Anyone have any clue what other states promote inbreeding?

I realize that I'm now saying that anyone who uses the term 'Pop' is here from inbreeding and therefore is using the wrong term to describe carbonated drinks, but I'm okay with making stereotypes...at least for now.

11 Comments:

Blogger elizabeth said...

Uh.Oh. We call in Pop in Canada. Well - I say Canada but I really only know for sure around where I live so.... maybe not all of Canada.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Tobiwan said...

You've just demolished my theory...*pout*

Still, I guess there's no 'correct' way of referring to it, is there?

2:13 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

Well now that is a question isn't it. Might I suggest that we make a pact and hence forth we refer to afore mentioned beverage as "soda-pop" thereby eliminating the question altogether? Or we could just drink water... (smirk)

2:20 PM  
Blogger Tobiwan said...

It's a deal, but only if we can drink Beer instead.

2:30 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

Sounds good. Next time I'm in Cali or your in Canada - beer it shall be. Fair warning though - I am a bit of a handful while drinking (refer to blog for details...) and might just embarass you. ;-)

3:53 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

Actually - I could manage to embarras people just as easily with "soda-pop"

4:17 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

...especially with my spelling...

4:35 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

My uncle (raised in MI and living in upstate NY for 20+ years) says pop. I think it's a MI thing but I'm not sure. I could do a poll?

11:01 PM  
Blogger Tobiwan said...

Poll away Sam, but Elizabeth pretty much demolished my theory about it having to do with inbreeding.

Elizabeth - Beer it shall be, and I'm a lightweight, so don't go taking advantage of me! ;-)

5:48 AM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

I'll do my best. ;-)

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just couldn't resist commenting on this. I briefly lived in Rockford, IL (everyone used the term "pop") and yes this adds a little validity to your idea that this is Mid-West thing...however, I am now going to PROVE your inbreeding theory. My mom's family is from TN (Monroe County to be exact), she gave me a book titled, "The History of Monroe County". It is the story of this county and who has lived there in the last 100 years...you guessed it-EVERYONE IS RELATED! I was so embarrassed! You will, of course, understand why I am choosing not to use my name!

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home