My Photo
Name:
Location: San Leandro, California, United States

I've spent hours trying to write 'about me' so I just gave up and you'll have to figure this out for yourself. Thanks for stopping in anyway!

Thursday, May 25, 2006

'You get what you pay for'

Having worked in Customer Service for almost 7 years now, I know that there are no others as true as this quote. You truly get what you pay for, no matter what you're buying. Why do the $2 toys get broken within the first 2 hours you buy them? Because it costs $2. Sure there are exceptions to this rule, but those are few and far between.

Occasionally, I hear someone complain about how poor of service they get from a low-end technology (ie.Telco-ADSL) and I have to literally tip-toe around the answer of 'You get what you pay for'. When it really needs to be said, I say it, but only to law firms and churches.

What I really love to hear about (from a customer) is how much money they're losing as a result of their downtime:

Them: "I'm losing thousands of dollars for every minute this circuit is down!"

Me: "If your business is so dependent on the internet, perhaps you should think about getting a redundant connection."

*prolonged silence*

Them: "I'm already paying too much as it is! Your service is too expensive! SBC told me that they would give me faster speed with less than half the cost...what do you say to that??"

Me: "Well, they're definitely an option, but I'm not permitted to make recommendations about other internet providers."

Them: "I'm calling SBC right now!"

Me: *containing my absolute joy* "Sorry to hear that, perhaps you should inquire with them about the redundant connection."

As many of you probably already know, most companies are now outsourcing their Tech Support departments to other countries. SBC for example, relies on a few thousand people from India to handle their inbound calls. I've worked with them on several occasions and I can tell you that they provide the absolute minimum support possible. Please don't mistake my knocking these individuals directly...I'm merely pointing out that they're horribly undertrained and rely very heavily on their scripts. The blame is now pointed to the Companies that hired them to perform the task formerly designated for people here in the States.

My role as a Support Person is seriously impaired by having to work with these individuals. The language barrier has a lot to do with how well the phone conversation goes. Their script is what drives me insane. They adhere to it like it's their fucking life-vest! Sadly, they have no idea how stupid it makes them sound. This is exactly what your dollars are being spent on~outsourced indentured servants.

Most people end up getting frustrated and hang up, but we have to get them to do their job, as meaningless as it seems to be to them. Anyhow, I'm losing my momentum on this topic because it's just Old...like really old.

So yeah, like I said, you get what you pay for.

3 Comments:

Blogger elizabeth said...

How's it goin Tobiwan? Sounds like fun.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Tobiwan said...

Hiya Liz!

It's only fun when it's not your money being wasted on poor products/service.

Things are going well with me lately~I"ll splain in a future post.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

So once I paid 20 bucks for a hooker and she sucked. So I asked for my money back and she used the same damn line on me. Then I woke up a week later with oozing sores on my you know what. It was gross. The doctor gave me a shot and it cleared up nicely.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home